Who is Geotab:
Geotab, a global leader in connected transportation and IoT, is one of the fastest-growing technology companies in North America and a certified “Great Place to Work.” Each day, Geotab processes billions of data points from over 1.8 million connected vehicles. Geotab extracts actionable insights from this data, empowering businesses to track and manage fleets of every size. Geotab’s hardware devices, software platforms and applications help keep drivers in over 130 countries compliant, safe and efficient. Global demand for telematics is increasing and Geotab is leading the way. Are you ready to join us? To see what it’s like to be a Geotabber, follow us @InsideGeotab on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook today!
Who are we looking for:
We are currently seeking an Automotive Research and Development Engineer to join our team of data-hungry vehicle hackers. We are looking for passionate, talented engineers who know their way around the automotive industry. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in hardware, software, automotive control systems, data analytics and general aptitude for problem solving. We are looking for people who are ready to get out into the field to solve problems, and also to be proactive and data mine our system to find problems before our customers do. We are heavy into automation and software tools. If you love to travel, tackle hard problems and test drive cool vehicles, this is the spot for you!
What are the details of this position:
Cars, vans, trucks, construction, agriculture, petrol, diesel, electric & hybrid – we deal with all types of vehicles across many different industries. Your primary role is to reverse engineer the hard to find proprietary data from these systems to unlock incredible value for our global ecosystem of products. With our products, we are able to tap into any sensor that’s in a vehicle, and add sensors where none exist. We pull and push data from vehicle networks that can save lives, track weather more accurately than weather stations, and can even let you access and start your car without a key! To be successful in this role, you’ll need to know your way around computers, software, hardware, and vehicles. You are the first one to pick up a spanner or a soldering iron, and will never settle for the status quo. If something is broken, you are the type that must understand why and won’t settle until you fix it. You’ll leverage these skills to tap in to vehicle networks and ECU’s using a variety of vehicle interfaces and scan tools. You’ll become innately familiar with how our flagship product (the GO9) interfaces with vehicles and help contribute to core software improvements by characterizing new vehicle behavior. This means you’ll need to be a great communicator and interface with other internal teams, partners and customers.
Duties and Tasks of this Position:
- Reverse engineer vehicular systems including electrical, hardware and communications systems and protocols
- Photograph, record and then document and design methods to collect data from vehicles in a way that is digestible by Geotab’s hardware and software teams
- Investigate high priority vehicle behaviour issues that interfere with Geotab’s products
- Work with OEMs in a technical capacity to implement industry standard data and diagnostics that are compatible with Geotab’s products
- Support the global reverse engineering vision and process by contributing to the use, design and implementation of the software tooling
- Use BigQuery, and Google Cloud compute for automated analysis of vehicle data and identify vehicle support gaps from our products
- Act as a point of escalation for technical customer support and troubleshooting via email, phone, or onsite visits – where necessary being involved with presenting to or training fellow Geotabbers, our resellers or installers
- Support Geotab global strategic initiatives
- Degree or qualification in Automotive, Electrical, Mechatronic Engineering or related field
- Experience with automotive diagnostic standards such as SAE J1939, SAEJ1979, KWP/2000, UDS 14229, ISO 27145 WWH-OBD
- Experience with physical layers such as CAN bus, K-Line/ISO9141, VPW/PWM, Single Wire CAN etc
- Experience with writing and debugging scripts (Python, Matlab, etc)
- Experience with vehicle interfacing and analysis tools such as Vector CANalyzer, Automotive diagnostic scan tools
- Experience programming in C/C++ in embedded applications an asset
- General experience diagnosing vehicle related problems using conventional tools (probing connectors, harness building, circuit testing)
- Experience with GIT/Jira workflows for software development
- Basic SQL or Google Big Query equivalent
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to problem solve to well-judged decisions
- Must have a “hacking” mindset for reverse engineering
- Clean UK or EU driver’s license
- Demonstrated diligence and tenacity
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to travel at certain global locations
Our Core Values:
Geotab is shaping the future of telematics. Using leading technology, we embrace change and challenge the status quo. To stay ahead of the curve, we keep Geotabbers energized with data bootcamps, course subsidies, Friday lunches, and more. We believe collaboration leads to innovation; our teams stretch across floors, cities and continents. All employees, from the CEO to the summer students, maintain an open-door policy. Whether we’re fine-tuning our products, or boosting our office culture, we’re building a foundation for long-term success. To us, this means safer roads, more efficient fleets and a team of dynamic Geotabbers!