About the job
Business Development Manager
The Business Development (BD) Manager plays an instrumental role in generating revenue for GoAscendal, by managing a highly productive bid team, supporting our BD Leads, and working directly with progressive government, business, and development agency clients to develop innovative solutions to improve quality of life in cities. This position is based in South Africa. We’re looking for an experienced and versatile business development manager who is hungry to make a difference in the way cities move. Our ideal candidate has experience managing a business development and bid team in advisory assignments and/or technology for B2G or B2B clients, and has worked closely with partners and clients to qualify leads, develop proposals and close deals. S/he will be comfortable with day-to-day sales activities, as well as long-term strategy, thinking on their feet, dealing with evolving information to pursue a clear strategy, and thriving with tight deadlines and changing needs. S/he will love to live our values of making a difference, innovation, teamwork, transformative work, and grit.
GoAscendal empowers cities to implement greener, equitable mobility for all, by driving transformative mobility solutions and harnessing the potential of data and technology. GoAscendal is a mission-driven, global advisory partnership between Ascendal and GoMetro. Our experts have implemented truly innovative mobility solutions in over 150 cities of 62 countries — including world-class BRT and bus systems, paratransit reform, Transit Oriented Development, autonomous shared mobility, electric buses, and Big Data to generate customer insights and map public transport. Based in Cambridge UK, we have offices or staff on four continents, in Bogota, Buenos Aires, Cape Town, Hong Kong, Johannesburg, London, Monterrey, Nashville, Santiago, and New York City.
- Manage a highly effective bid team to support all of GoAscendal. Set staff objectives, conduct reviews, and coach and guide performance, for team members reporting to you from offices on various contents.
- Contribute to overall business development strategy, including our brand messaging, market strategies, and definition of our offers
- Ensure we are sourcing highly relevant calls for proposals and EOIs and continually refining our search criteria
- Manage production of proposals and EOIs, delegating work wherever needed (to bid and delivery teams) with clear deliverables and timelines. Manage weekly pipeline meeting(s). Manage bid production calendar. Collaborate with Technical Leads to develop methodologies and budgets.
- Recommend opportunity priorities to CPSO, using Pareto Principle.
- Set up and maintain bid “assets” and protocols in shared file systems such as Drive and Notion — including processes for Go/No-Go decisions and proposal approvals; budget templates, CVs and project qualifications (in editable, attractive formats), company descriptions, corporate documents, well-organized files, and other assets to support opportunities.
- Business Development: Directly generate revenue from strategic opportunities that you source and lead.
- Source and generate strategic revenue. Cultivate relationships, open doors, validate opportunities, get approval to pitch, lead EOI/proposal development, usher resources to support you, close deals, and hand over to the Delivery Team for execution.
- Develop your network of prospective clients and partners through whom you generate opportunities and revenue — through direct outreach, networking, public talks, presentations, blogs and content.
- Own quarterly and annual revenue targets, set in collaboration with CPSO.
- Regularly update your pipeline and client contacts (in Notion) with accurate, timely information.
- Usher BD resources to support you.
- Team Reporting and Projections
- Compile all revenue projections into a consolidated revenue forecast for the company, with future scenarios; highlight any significant risks or deviations; and recommend corrective action, all in collaboration with the CPSO and COO.
- Report on our sales pipeline in support of strategic opportunities and calls for proposals and EOIs. Ensure that the pipeline is updated with accurate details.
- Identify areas of coaching and improvement for the entire BD team.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business, transportation, or related field
- 7+ years of experience
- Exceptionally strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proven experience in sales and partnerships, from generating qualified leads to closing deals. A keen understanding of the entire sales process, with demonstrated experience moving opportunities through the pipeline from lead generation through closing.
- Experience developing partnerships with government, business, and/or development agency clients for a knowledge-centered company
- Experience measuring and reporting on a pipeline against agreed targets
- Soft Skills:
- A “people person” with strong people skills and creativity to understand partners and clients, guide them, and usher partners and internal resources.
- Strong people skills and experience managing and motivating a team. Strong team leadership, project management, and decision-making skills. Problem-solver, with good judgment, ability to adapt quickly under pressure.
- Highly responsive, ambitious, collaborative worker who can move easily between the big picture and micro-details
- Willingness to work across multiple time zones, sometimes outside normal working hours
- Technical proficiency in sustainable mobility and/or technology is a huge plus
- Master’s degree a plus
- 10+ years of experience
- Experience working within development finance institutions or progressive governments
- Exceptionally strong networks in the mobility consulting, transport, technology and/or development sectors
- Experience with CRM or sales software
- Spanish and/or French proficiency