Who Is Bird
Bird is a global team guided by a shared vision: to make cities more livable through safe, sustainable electric mobility. From our first e-scooter ride in 2017 to the thousands of rides taking place every day, our passionate team and award winning custom vehicles have helped riders complete hundreds of millions of carbon-free trips in more than 150 cities around the world. And we’re just getting started.
The Policy Associate for DACH will join the Government Partnerships team to help solve local and national legislative and regulatory challenges as well as facilitate a suitable level framework for Bird to operate in Germany. They will support the success of e-scooters operations in towns and cities by managing relations with the relevant local authorities and community stakeholders. This individual will work closely with our internal Operations, Public Relations, and Policy and Proposals teams as well as our external public affairs firms.
- Managing the German e-scooter programs by ensuring good relations with the BMVI and municipal authorities
- Identifying and developing positive working relationships with key local authority partners, national Government contacts (BMVI), and community stakeholders and influencers
- Briefing Members of Parliament, peers and political stakeholders about Bird and electric scooters
- Responding to and mitigating policy concerns as they arise, e.g. new city or government level requirements. Updating internal Bird stakeholders about any such requirements.
- Collaborating with both internal and external stakeholders, including Policy / Government Partnerships, Operations, Legal, Communications, Marketing, and external consultants
- Understanding of how legislation is made and the workings of the Parliament (Select Committees, questions etc)
- Understanding of policy challenges facing Bird and the micro-EV industry in Germany
- Thorough attention to detail when analysing regulatory language and parameters
- Comfortable navigating bureaucracy, and complex regulatory or legislative documents, interacting with different stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in German and English
- Proven ability to work in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Understanding of micro-EV and Bird’s mission
- Flexibility to travel within the German market as needed
- A flexible, creative thinker, able to think outside the box and pursue new solutions for situations where there may be no precedent
- Degree required; masters or advanced degree preferred
- At least 3 years experience working in government, lobbying or political communications
- Have worked in Local Government, with a proven network of contacts
- Fluent English, German, and other European languages an advantage
Culture at Bird
We’re an ambitious, smart and open-minded team that is passionate about our mission. Each day is unlike the last, as we’re constantly moving forward, challenging each other, and working together to create the future of micro-mobility.
We’re committed to helping our team members, and with the evolution of our company to a remote work organization due to the pandemic, their needs have changed. That’s why we offer a WFH monthly stipend, a wellness allowance, and more. Plus, a new resource to help support personal and professional developments—all the goods needed to move on our mission together.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.